Rules of 4 card draw poker
Table of content:
Similar to 3 card poker, 4 card poker is a poker variation which was invented by Roger Snow. This variation of poker is not played against other players, but played against the house or the dealer. It is a rather simple game which is easy to follow. 4 card poker follows the official poker hand ranking.
In this article we will discuss everything you need to know about this type of card poker including its rules so that you are equipped with enough information to play the game and improve your chances of winning.
Each player is pitted against the dealer and not against other players. The players have the option of placing an ante bet or an ‘aces bet’. Some players make both. In a 4 card poker game, there is no such concept of dealer qualifications. In this game, the dealer is always qualified.
The objective of the game is to tie or beat the dealers’ hand. In the 4 card poker, to tie with the dealer essentially means winning the game.
Now that you are clear with the basics regarding the setting and objective of the game, its time that you learn the basic rules of this poker variation.
1. Players enter the game after paying the required amount of ante.
2. An ante is the amount made by a player before he can actually participate in the game. It typically serves as the minimum starting bet.
3. Each player receives a total number of 5 cards each, face down, which are only for their eyes to see.
4. The dealer is dealt 6 cards out of which 5 cards are face down and the sixth and last card is face up. The sixth card of the dealer is exposed and can be seen by every player present in the game.
5. To win the 4 card poker game, the players need to make the best 4 card poker hand as against the dealers hand or make it equal to the dealers hand.
6. In order to further stay in the bet, the players need to make a bet at least of the amount of the ante. This amount can be 3 times the amount of the ante.
7. Since this game will be played online, all the cards and the poker chips will automatically be presented and given to all the players. Hence, saving time and increasing your experience of a smooth and uninterrupted game.
8. In 4 card poker, there is no such concept of qualified dealer. Here, the dealer is pitted against each player regardless of the cards dealt to the dealer.
Since we have covered all the basic rules of this poker game, it’s time to see how an actual game of 4 card poker is played.
To participate and become a player of the 4 card poker, each individual has to pay an amount, known as the ante which is paid before the starting of the game. As stated above, an ante is treated as the initial betting amount of every player that has to be paid by each of the players.
2. Extra bets
Each player in the game of 4 card poker, has the option of placing bets in addition to the ante. Here, it is known as ‘Aces Up’. This is not a compulsory bet.
3. Dealing of the cards
In the game of 4 card poker, each player is dealt 5 cards which are face down. These 5 cards cannot be exchanged nor be removed. Since this game is against the dealer, in 4 card poker, the dealer is dealt 6 cards out of which 5 are face down, that is they are hidden from every player, the last 6th card is placed face up, on display, for every player to see.
4. The face up card
According t the rules of 4 card poker game, only one card of the dealer is kept exposed so that every player playing the game can see dealers’ last card. This exposed card together with the players own card is taken into consideration before announcing their betting option.
5. Evaluating your cards
After the 6th card of the dealer is revealed, the players then evaluate their card with respect to the dealers exposed card, all the while, keeping in mind that to win the game they need to have an equal 4 card hand rank or higher than that of the dealers 4 card hand rank.
6. Betting options
In the 4 card poker, the players have 2 betting options –
•To play – After thorough evaluation of their own cards with the dealers exposed card, if the player opts for the option to play, it means that the player will continue and still be in the game. To stay in the game, the player needs to pay the amount of the ante which can up to 3 times of its amount.
•To fold – when after evaluating the cards, the players who don’t want to stay in the hand, can leave the hand after choosing the option to fold.
7. Dealers cards
When all the players have made their betting options, the dealer than exposes all of the 6 cards dealt to him. After which, he makes the best possible high ranking 4 card hand which is displayed so that every player may see the dealers’ hand.
8. Determining the winner
In 4 card poker, you win if –
· The player has a 4 card hand rank equal to or higher than the dealers 4 card hand rank, then that player would be the winner.
In 4 card poker, you also win if –
· The player had made an additional bet known as the ‘Aces Bet’, then for this bet, the dealers’ hand doesn’t matter. If a player has a pair of aces cards or any higher ranking cards, then that player wins this additional bet.
In 4 card poker, you also win if –
• A player manages to make a three of a kind, four of a kind or a straight flush, then regardless of the dealers’ cards, this player will get the bonus amount. That means if the player loses out on the initial bet and the additional bet, the player can win the bonus bet, provided that the player manages to get one of the above mentioned hand ranks.
With this we come to an end of this game of card poker. You are now ready to try the game. Why not try the game right now? Download the GetMega app and play 4 card poker with your friends and enjoy!